Child Benefit Contact Number

By Dan T on 06/02/2017 in Government

 0843 903 1202

Calls to this number will cost 7p per minute plus your phone providers access charge. This is a call connection service which will direct your call to the official helpline.

Call the Child Benefit Contact Number Today

Call the Child Benefit Contact Number on 0843 903 1202We’ve collected a host of information for you on child benefit services and who to contact within the HMRC for advice and support. We understand that waiting to speak to an adviser or finding your way to the right department can be tricky at times, so we’ve helped to break down the confusion a little – we’ve even included additional contact information for you at the bottom of the page if you need to escalate concerns in writing.

You can call the Child Benefit Contact Number on 0843 903 1202, lines are open Monday to Friday 08:00 to 20:00 and 08:00 to 16:00 on a Saturday. Unfortunately the Child Benefit helpline is closed on a Sunday and bank holidays.

What is Child Benefit?

Being a parent can be hard – both in terms of responsibility and in terms of financial cost. This means that, sometimes, you may need to seek financial assistance when times get particularly tight. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) offer child benefit to UK citizens, which allows couples and single parents to claim a certain amount of welfare benefit towards the cost of raising a child or children.

These costs are calculated based upon your personal circumstances, and are available to parents with children under the age of 16 years old. Parents of children under 20, too, can claim if they are in full time education.

Child benefit is a huge boost to UK parents as it helps to not only fund the cost of raising a family but also helps to boost income that they may be missing out on. For anyone looking to get advice on how much they can claim, whether or not they are eligible, and what to do if they feel a decision is incorrect call the Child Benefit contact number on 0843 903 1202.

HMRC’s child benefit customer services are available all year round to help administer new claims, amend existing benefits and to assess eligibility – making them a one-stop shop for all matters regarding child benefit support.

HMRC is just one of the government’s many public-facing departments and is therefore responsible for monitoring its own affairs and issues – however, they too have wide scope to cover. This is why the child benefit telephone number has been set up – so that parents can call the helpline directly for specific support, rather than risk wasting time waiting to speak to an advisor in a different department.

The recent streamlining of the GOV.UK and HMRC websites have allowed people to find the information they need easier than ever before, meaning that it is now simple to find your way through the benefits system at your leisure. If you need any direct support, however, the child benefit helpline is here to break things down even further for you.

Reasons for calling the Child Benefit telephone number

If you’re a single parent or are one half of a couple and are looking after a child, you may qualify for child benefit. As with other grants and benefits available from the UK welfare system, such claims are subject to your personal circumstances and how you fit eligibility – we will run through this for you further down the page – and the child benefit contact number is in place to help break down any queries or concerns you may have in further detail.

If you’re starting a new claim, wishing to make changes or are simply making enquiries, you can call the team directly on 0843 903 1202 at any time. You’ll speak to a member of the team who will either be able to start processing your claim or will assess your existing details – and once you’re registered, it will not be long before you are notified about a decision made on your case.

This is great news for any families who need to claim for financial support within a short delay. Here are just a few of the reasons why you may be calling the helpline today:

  • Starting a new claim
  • Making amendments to details
  • Making amendments to a claim
  • Appealing a claim decision
  • Querying eligibility
  • Chasing documents
  • General queries
  • Complaints
  • General benefits advice
  • Website support

While GOV.UK has changed its website so that people can now find their way through the benefits system much easier than before, you may still benefit from calling child benefit customer services if you have a complex or specific query. No need to worry – help is always at hand!


How much Child Benefit can I claim?

There are two standard rates of pay, and they are based upon how many children you have. For your eldest or only child, you will receive a weekly rate of £20.70. For additional children, you will receive weekly rates of £13.70 per child. While these are weekly rates, please bear in mind that funds are not paid to you each week – they will be paid into your applicable bank or building society account every four weeks, and generally on a Monday or Tuesday.

What happens if my partner and I split up?

If you and a partner split, child benefit will continue to be paid to each parent in custody of a given child. For example, if you have custody of one child, you will receive £20.70 per week as standard.

However, if your partner has custody of another child, they too will receive the standard rate. This is judged as fair to parents who may split up and whom may need further financial support.

Is there any other assistance available for single parents?

Yes – if you are a single mother or father, you can benefit from weekly payments as opposed to four-weekly instalments. This will also apply if you are in receipt of certain benefits.

If you call the child benefit phone number 0843 903 1202 and someone will be able to help you further on whether or not you will be affected or governed by this.

Is there a limit to how much I can earn to receive child benefit?

No – but if you or your partner earn £50,000 or more per year individually, you will need to pay a High Income Child Benefit Charge. These are tax rates that are levied upon higher earners who are in receipt of child benefit, and you will be assessed accordingly when you first apply.

Can both parents in a couple receive child benefit?

No – only one person per couple may claim. This is to ensure that each family receives child benefit in fair and reasonable amounts. Should you and a partner split, and either of you take custody of a child, you can then be assessed as separate families if you both have custody of a child.

Will I be able to claim child benefit if I move to the UK or move abroad?

Yes in both cases – depending upon your permission to live in the UK, or your status as a UK citizen when you move abroad, you may still be able to benefit from child benefit payments. The best thing to do to query such a case will be to call the child benefit helpline directly for dedicated support.

How can I claim?

While other benefits may require you to speak to the Department of Work and Pensions or even Jobcentre Plus, all claims for child benefit must be forwarded through a specific office on behalf of HMRC. You can download and fill in a CH2 form to return to the Newcastle address at the bottom of this page – alternatively, you can call the helpline to request a form, which you can then fill in and send in your own time.

Can child benefit be backdated?

You can be eligible for benefit as soon as your child is born – meaning that if you don’t claim right away, you can receive backdated payments for up to three months. It is advised that you claim or call within this window to ensure that you are entitled to the maximum available.

When is best to call the Child Benefit telephone number?

The Child Benefit helpline is open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and 8am to 4pm on a Saturday. If you struggle to get through on the above number you can try the official Child Benefit contact number on 0300 200 3100 or if you need the text phone number you can use 0300 200 3103.

Child Benefits Complaints

HMRC aims to ensure that all cases for child benefit are addressed and handled with care and fairness – however, there may be occasions where you are disappointed with the way that your claims or queries have been handled.

If you wish to make a complaint regarding the way in which HMRC has handled your child benefit claim, you are encouraged to call the child benefit helpline at the first opportunity. However, you can also write to HMRC directly if you wish to put such concerns in writing. We have included an address for you to write to at the bottom of the page. Please be advised that this address is separate to the contact information for forms to be sent to.

Other ways to get in touch with HMRC


Address (for form returns)

Child Benefit Office (GB)


Newcastle upon Tyne

NE88 1ZD

Address (for complaints)

HM Revenue and Customs


Social Media

HMRC has a handy Twitter account for you to follow and contact here – specifically set up to address customer queries. You can contact the team about child benefit enquiries through here, but be careful not to divulge any personal information on public tweets.


About the Author

Dan TView all posts by Dan T


Add comment

Leave a Reply

Copyright 2024 All Helpline Numbers