Tax Code Contact Number

By Dan T on 01/02/2017 in Government

 0843 903 1157

Calls to this number will cost 7p per minute plus your phone providers access charge. This is a call connection service, we are not affiliated with HMRC or the tax code helpline.

Call the Tax Code Contact Number

If you need to get in touch with HMRC regarding your tax code you can call the tax code contact number on 0843 903 1157. Lines are open Monday to Friday 08:00 to 20:00, Saturday 08:00 to 16:00 and Sunday 09:00 to 17:00.

You can also call the official Tax Code phone number on 0300 200 3300, if you are calling from outside the UK you will need to call +44 135 535 9022.

What is a Tax Code?

Call the Tax Code Contact Number on 0843 903 1157Everyone working and earning over a certain threshold in the UK today will need to pay a certain amount of money towards tax. Tax is used to help pay for public services such as healthcare, education and waste management, and it is overseen by HM Revenue and Customs, who make deductions from employee salaries on a monthly basis.

They do this by applying a tax code to your wage – and your tax code is subject to change both due to the amount you are earning, or if there is not enough information available on how much you have paid.

As tax codes are assigned based on how much you are projected to earn for the year, some people find that they may be paying too much tax if HMRC has not updated their records. The tax code helpline is available for anyone to call should they feel that they are paying too much towards tax, or if they have earned less than the threshold for the year. The Chancellor of the Exchequer applies changes to this earning threshold, and for the tax year 2016-2017, due to end in April, you are entitled to earn up to £11,000 per year before expecting any tax deductions.

There are some circumstances, however, where you may find that you have been overcharged on tax. There is tax code support available on the GOV.UK website dedicated to income tax queries – however, it is important to understand that you may be subject to emergency tax if your records are not updated with HMRC between jobs.

This means that, if you change employer, you will need to provide them with a P45 as soon as possible so that HMRC can calculate the amount of tax you have paid accurately. There is more information on this process below – simply read more in our FAQs section, or call the tax code phone number below.

Tax Codes – Frequently Asked Questions

How exactly does my tax code work?

Your tax code will tell your employer how much to deduct from your salary. Specifically, it is a coded instruction to your employee payroll to ensure that HMRC receive the amount of money necessary.

How can I find my tax code, and what does it look like?

Your tax code, assigned to you by HMRC, will appear on wage slips and income related documents that you receive from your employer. This means that you will normally be able to find your code on your latest payslip, on your P60 for the current year, or on your P45 if you have recently changed jobs.

Alternatively, your code will be informed to you by HMRC in your yearly coding notice, which you will receive via post.

What do the numbers mean in my tax code?

The numbers in your code will directly inform your employee payroll how much you are entitled to earn before you are taxed. For example, it is likely that your current tax code will be 1100L, which refers to your personal allowance being £11,000 per year.

This amount is also calculated from workplace benefits, earnings from part-time work and otherwise.

I have a letter in my tax code – what does this mean?

Everyone will have a letter in some form or another in their tax code, as this identifies your situation in various ways. GOV.UK has a helpful breakdown of what all the letter codes mean that is available here.

The most common coding letters are likely to be L, identifying that you are subject to the year’s personal allowance, S, which identifies that you are paying the rate of income tax charged in Scotland, and BR, which is simply identified as the ‘basic rate’ (usually applicable to people with multiple jobs).

How do I know if I’m being emergency taxed?

You will know if you are subject to emergency tax if your code features the coding ‘W1’ or ‘M1’. These identify that you are being taxed on a non-cumulative basis, and that the tax you are paying is temporary.

You will need to ensure that your employer receives your latest P45 or coding information for HMRC to make the necessary adjustments and refunds to your future pay.

Why has my tax code changed?

There are many reasons as to why this may happen. In any case, HMRC will let you know via a notice of coding – but if you are in need of further support or would like to query a change, you can always call tax code customer services on 0300 200 3300 for more information.

Your code is likely to change if you have additional income that hasn’t already been taxed, additional benefits from your workplace, or even if you have recently changed jobs. This change will likely impact in emergency tax (see above).

What is a PAYE coding notice?

A notice of coding will let you know if your tax information has changed on file, and how much you need to pay back via PAYE (monthly wages) for the year ahead if you have any debt.

Your notice of coding will let you know your prospective tax code for the next tax year (up to April), and any benefits or deductions that will impact your taxation. Benefits can include certain allowances and credits, whereas deductions may include workplace benefits that require taxation – or even benefits you may be receiving from the state.

I don’t agree with my tax code – what do I do if I think I’m paying too much tax?

Simply call tax code phone number on 0843 903 1157 if you think you’ve paid too much tax, or if you know that your tax code doesn’t align with your personal circumstances.

While HMRC should adjust your emergency tax with the submission of a P45, if you believe that your code is in need of adjustment under other circumstances, or that you may be entitled to a refund, a call to tax code customer services is all you need to make.

Other ways to get in touch with the HMRC

Income Tax Website

Income Tax Address

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment

HM Revenue and Customs


Social Media

You can contact HMRC directly via their Twitter account.

About the Author

Dan TView all posts by Dan T


Add comment

Leave a Reply

Copyright 2024 All Helpline Numbers